This guide provides access to archival collections at the University of Baltimore that have been scanned and are accessible online. Each collection listed in this guide links users to the archives database, where collections are described. View digitized files online by using the "Print" button in each collection record, or browse records under “Collection Organization." Records with digitized content are identified with a red Digital Object icon.
Please direct questions to:
University of Baltimore
Special Collections & Archives 1415 Maryland Avenue, Room 202
Baltimore, MD 21201
In 1973, the Baltimore City Public Schools (BCPS) underwent reorganization that eliminated record keeping systems for the School Social Work (SSW) program and related services. This collection represents the efforts of professional staff in the SSW to compile and retain their own records.
From 1978 through 1980, the Baltimore Neighborhood Heritage Project (BNHP) conducted oral history interviews from longtime residents in seven Baltimore neighborhoods: Highlandtown, Hampden, Park Heights, Little Italy, South Baltimore, Old West Baltimore and East Baltimore, and with workers from the Port of Baltimore.
Established in 1836, the Board of Trade merged with the Merchants & Manufacturers Association in 1923 to form the Baltimore Association of Commerce (the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Baltimore after 1964). These records are from 1911-1918.
The Citizens Housing Council was proposed by a group of Social Workers in early 1940 to advocate better standards for low-income housing in Baltimore. The Council incorporated in May 1940 with 120 members. In the summer of 1941 it merged with the Citizens Planning & Redevelopment Association to form the Citizens Planning & Housing Association.
John Van Alstyn Weaver was born at Charlotte, North Carolina, July 17, 1893. A poet, he published five volumes of verse, two novels and a play in this period before going to Hollywood to write dialogue for the movies.
With funding from the U.S. Office of Economic Opportunity, MUND began as a public-private partnership between the Baltimore Community Action Agency, the Greater Baltimore Committee, and Westinghouse Corporation. The goal was to focus the resources and expertise of the private sector on a single district within Baltimore City, applying the best practices of business to the problems of urban renewal.
The Movement Against Destruction, (MAD) was founded in August of 1968. MAD was a coalition of 25 neighborhood and other community organizations. The purpose of the organization was to fight any further construction of expressways into the city of Baltimore.
The collection is combination of two distinct research projects: the NORTH AVENUE 100 project conducted in the mid-1980s under the direction of Dr. Elaine Eff, and University of Baltimore undergraduate coursework in community studies lead by Dr. Jessica I. Elfenbein in the mid-2000s.
The Southeast Council, like the Movement Against Destruction, formed in response to proposals for interstate highways through Baltimore City. This council was specifically concerned with highways proposed through historic Fells Point and surrounding neighborhoods.
The group was interested in the rights of tenants and their relationship with landlords. The collection includes: posters, scrapbook, vacant house suveys, correspondence, rent control literature, and complaint sheets.