Start researching an industry
1. Each industry is assigned a SIC or NAICS code. Many databases and search engines allow you to search by this code. To start researching an industry, it is important to know its code:
- NAICS (the North American Industry Classification System) Industry code used by the U.S. federal statistical data; and it's how most business research tools are organized.
- SIC (Standard Industrial Classification) The old industry code that was formally used by the U.S. Government and is still used by some business research tools.
2. Once you know the code, find information on your industry in a database:
- IBIS World is great place to start (search by keyword or NAICS code)
Industry Reference Books
General Business Reference Books
These reference books are a starting point for research and have helpful, general business information. You'll find them on the 1st floor of the library.