From 2006 until 2013, the Special Collections Department at Langsdale Library was actively engaged in an initiative known as Archives 24/7. This mass-digitization project aimed to make entire archival collections available online. In this project, documents were digitized at the archival folder level, saved as PDFs, and hyperlinked from collection inventory lists. This guide includes links to collections that have been digitized in large part or in their entirety.
The Archives 24/7 program is currently active on a limited basis. The majority of the digital content represented in this guide was digitized between 2006 and 2013.
Please direct any questions to Special Collections:
(410) 837-4253 firstname.lastname@example.org
Material may be quoted and digital images may be used from our collections for personal and educational purposes without prior permission, provided appropriate credit is given. When crediting images that are copyrighted by us, please use the citation: Used with permission of the University of Baltimore Langsdale Library Special Collections.
Any commercial use of this material is prohibited without prior permission. Commercial requests for use of images of any material must be submitted in writing to the address below:
Langsdale Library Special Collections Department 1415 Maryland Avenue Baltimore, MD 21201-5779
Complete Collections - Archival collections that have been completely digitized
In 1973, the Baltimore City Public Schools (BCPS) underwent reorganization that eliminated record keeping systems for the School Social Work (SSW) program and related services. This collection represents the efforts of professional staff in the SSW to compile and retain their own records.
From 1978 through 1980, the Baltimore Neighborhood Heritage Project (BNHP) conducted oral history interviews from longtime residents in seven Baltimore neighborhoods: Highlandtown, Hampden, Park Heights, Little Italy, South Baltimore, Old West Baltimore and East Baltimore, and with workers from the Port of Baltimore.
Established in 1836, the Board of Trade merged with the Merchants & Manufacturers Association in 1923 to form the Baltimore Association of Commerce (the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Baltimore after 1964). These records are from 1911-1918.
The Citizens Housing Council was proposed by a group of Social Workers in early 1940 to advocate better standards for low-income housing in Baltimore. The Council incoporated in May 1940 with 120 members. In the summer of 1941 it merged with the Citizens Planning & Redevelopment Association to form the Citizens Planning & Housing Association.
John Van Alstyn Weaver was born at Charlotte, North Carolina, July 17, 1893. A poet, he published five volumes of verse, two novels and a play in this period before going to Hollywood to write dialogue for the movies.
With funding from the U.S. Office of Economic Opportunity, MUND began as a public-private partnership between the Baltimore Community Action Agency, the Greater Baltimore Committee, and Westinghouse Corporation. The goal was to focus the resources and expertise of the private sector on a single district within Baltimore City, applying the best practices of business to the problems of urban renewal.
The Movement Against Destruction, (MAD) was founded in August of 1968. MAD was a coalition of 25 neighborhood and other community organizations. The purpose of the organization was to fight any further construction of expressways into the city of Baltimore.
The collection is combination of two distinct research projects: the NORTH AVENUE 100 project conducted in the mid-1980s under the direction of Dr. Elaine Eff, and University of Baltimore undergraduate coursework in community studies lead by Dr. Jessica I. Elfenbein in the mid-2000s.
The Southeast Council, like the Movement Against Destruction, formed in response to proposals for interstate highways through Baltimore City. This council was specifically concerned with highways proposed through historic Fells Point and surrounding neighborhoods.
The group was interested in the rights of tenants and their relationship with landlords. The collection includes: posters, scrapbook, vacant house suveys, correspondence, rent control literature, and complaint sheets.